Tuesday 1 December 2015

The Road to Nebaj, Guatemala

A friend's Guatemalan Symphonic Metal band Winter Night
November 22
After an incredible evening experiencing Guatemala's metal scene with my friend's band Winter Night, the trek to Nebaj was our first adventure into the field for body excavation. Driving up and around the mountain cliffs, Kalista and I 'volunteered as tribute' to ride in the truck's bucket amongst the tarped gear. Through the sun, we stopped on the side of the road for roasted corn with salt and lime, and then raw sugar and cocoa bars. Before we entered San Carlo for lunch, the rain came so we ducked under a tarp trying not to get too wet, giggling all the while. Just a little fun for the farm girls. We couldn't hide under the tarp too long or else the mix of lack of oxygen and exhaust fumes started getting to us.
I'm going up the country, babe do you wanna go? I'm going to some place I've never been before."
The mountainous landscape truly is incredible, especially when you start to see some rushing rapids and men with mules on the cliffs. Passing the little villages with skinny stray dogs running  aimlessly along the roads, while travellers on foot with large bags of wood, food or laundry, you realize how isolated it would be for these poorer families.  How much do you think these individuals have seen of their country, knowing that gas and transportation is so very expensive for most people here. Motorcycles, mopeds, tuk-tuks, and 'chicken buses' spewing black smoke are what options majority of travellers have. If you have a vehicle,  most always you have extra travellers, crammed in the back amongst other luggage.
Around the Mountains: Photo Cred: Kalista Sherbaniuk


Our accommodations  for the week, is open concept with courtyard and a fountain. A rooster Is tied up near Erica and I's room, so for me at least, it is a bit homely, despite the 4am cockle-doodle-dooing every 20 minutes or so. After experiencing the ice cold shower, we pleasantly found out at specific times during the evening the hot water comes on. It is actually a big treat for us as back at EFI base in Guatemala City is hot water free (or shall I say hot water-less. It works for me, as apparently I am a record fast showerer).
It is also very interesting finding out the very different comfort levels my team members seem to be experienced with. When some say they were born and raised in the city, they seem to mean it. For me to what is 'no biggy' or nothing new, to others rural life and bushing it, with limited resources or facilities, is a big deal for some. Of that, I remind myself to be mindful, patient, understanding and supportive to those who may not be used to being adaptable. :)
Guatemala City to Nebaj by Toyota Truck



For some, the meals of chicken, beans, plantains, eggs and rice is becoming a bit much, but it is interesting experiencing the most minute of uniqueness of preparation. For myself, I try to put into perspective that  this is the staple diet for most all Guatemalans of which probably never experience much else, nor do they mind. As you may experience me vent later, there is a great underlying agricultural issue around the limited variety of crops they can harvest thanks to corrupt land owners and larger corporations.

No comments:

Post a Comment